Monday, November 5, 2007

More Roses

Honestly, here it is November and the roses just keep blooming. I guess I'll have to make another bouquet. This is how I do it. First I gather the roses cutting them off properly so the bush will make another long stem. Then I pick off the leaves and thorns and put them in a bath of cold water. These are Double Delight, Passionate Kisses, and Mt. Hood. I let them soak there while I select a vase and fill it with water. I always put in a couple drops of bleach to keep the water fresh. Then I cut the stems off at the proper length with a razor blade under water. The theory is that if you cut them out in the air, air will get in the cells and block their access to the water. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it seems to help. Then I shake the water out of the petals and plunk them into the vase. Sometimes I add a little leatherleaf fern or some other flower that happens to be blooming, but this bouquet is just roses. I'd like to enjoy them in all their glory before they're gone.

No comments: