Saturday, January 5, 2008

New Year's Resolutions


I know everyone else has already done their New Year's Resolution blog, but I'm a little slow, ok? It's taken a while to figure what my goals are for the new year, but I've finally got a little list of things I'd like to accomplish. In no particular order here they are:



EAT HEALTHIER

I'm going to get out this book and reread it and really stick to it this year. Like my mantel says, One who eats well, lives well. I was in high school in the 70s when natural food was really the "in" thing. Some of it must have stuck with me because we have always used REAL butter, REAL milk, and lots of fresh vegs. I don't drink sodas (are you listening Lord of the Manor, Teen1 and Teen2?) and we rarely have them in the house. I consciously avoid white flour, high fructose corn syrup and processed foods. But there is still so much room for improvement.


HAVE A FAMILY DAY OUT ONCE A MONTH

Actually this was the Lord of the Manor's idea, but we will all participate and benefit.


FINISH SOME NAGGING DECORATING ISSUES

Teen2's curtains are not right, and after her rat chewed one to shreds, well.....it really really needs doing now. Helpful bit of advice: never let any fabric touch a rat's cage, because they will pull it through the bars and chew it to shreds. That's happened with other things too. Like clothes. And tablecloths.

There's that little bit of wallpaper that needs patching in the dining room. I have extra in the attic if I can just find it.

Do something about the living room sofa. It's a hand-me-down from my sister that I've hidden with a slip cover, but it really should be re-upholstered. In red. With a grand bullion fringe. Yum.

Make two more pillows for my bedroom and put gorgeous trim on the curtains.

Stencil an oak leaf and acorn motif around the Library.


HAVE TEA EVERY AFTERNOON

I already drink green tea every morning, but brewing a pot of Earl Grey in the afternoon is such a nice ritual.


DO MORE CRAFTS PROJECTS

I've seen so many fabulous crafts in blogland and I want to shamelessly copy them simply for my own enjoyment. Thoughts of glitter houses are floating in my head right this minute.


FINISH ACORN COTTAGE

This is the little studio/guest house in our back yard. We started the renovation last February and it's still not done. I'm sure we'll get enthused about it again when the weather gets a little nicer.


RECYCLE, REUSE, BE THRIFTY

I'd like to be more "green" this year; less consumption, more recycling, less waste.


I know these aren't all "resolutions", strictly speaking, but if I distilled them down, they could sort of be resolutions: live healthier, spend more time with my family, create a cozy home, be more creative, slow down and enjoy life, tread more lightly on this planet. Oh, I feel so much better now; I've finally got some proper New Year's Resolutions here Amongst The Oaks.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HEY! you know i dont drink soda! XP unless Grandma Vakareza gives it to me..... its hard to refuse her...
^-^U

teen2