Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Winter Visitors

We've had a break in the nasty weather here Amongst The Oaks. It's been clear for a few days now, but cold. Yesterday when I left for work I noticed the bird bath was frozen, but the ice was starting to melt, so the birds would be able to use it later.

When I got home from work, there were dozens of these robins in the trees in the back garden. They are a year round visitor, but in the winter they gather in large groups every evening and sleep together in the trees. Then in the morning, just as the sun is rising, they all swoop down to the lawn and have breakfast together. Then off they go to some other attraction during the day. It reminds me of some group tours I've been on.

A few days ago I heard this hawk up in the oak tree. He sat still for quite a while and allowed me to take his photo. Usually they fly away when I get close. They are a constant resident here in our little oak forest, but much easier to see in the winter when the leaves are off the trees.


And here is another regular in the cast. It amazes me that this tiny little creature can survive out there. Where does it sleep? How does it stay warm? I'm trying to help with this feeder, but what does it eat?



Thank you pretty birds, for brightening our days. Just keep coming and stay in the trees because this guy is down on the ground, just waiting for a snack!

1 comment:

dlyn said...

Love seeing all the birds that won't be back in our neck of the woods for quite awhile yet! ['cept the hawk - they are here all the time] lovely photos & I am bookmarking you for more visits!