Friday, June 13, 2008

White Flower Challenge - Day 13

Hydrangea macrophylla

I love hydrangeas and wish I could grow more of them. I have five pink ones; two are doing well, but the three in the back just aren't performing like they should. It's because they are under an oak tree (what isn't in my garden?) and get too much competition and shade. But this white one I found on my way to work looks happy, doesn't it? It's growing in a raised planter in front of some shops. It gets morning sun and total shade the rest of the day. My grandmother had a huge hydrangea that had the same exposure and it always did beautifully. She was quite a gardener; I think that's where I got my love of flowers. Thanks, Granny.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful. We just planted a white hydrangea. I hope it thrives.

joyh82 said...

How beautiful! Our poor flowers have really taken a beating from the rain this year.

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely hydrangea...my pink one isn't in flower yet.
Margaret and Noreen

Unknown said...

I like this hydrangea. We have some like this, but also an odd one with little crinkly, turned backwards sortof flowers. I don't suppose you'd know what that's called?

Anonymous said...

I love hydrangeas. One of my favorite Spring through Summer decorations is a bouquet of hydrangeas from my friend's bushes. They are in the softest, sweetest colors. This is the fourth year I've pulled them out for display.