Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Memorable Day

My family gathered at my Dad's house last Saturday and we had a memorable day. After the burglary he worried about my Mom's treasures and didn't want us to miss out on any more of them through loss or the passage of time, so he invited us to come and distribute the things she had collected over the years. As we unwrapped and inspected things, Dad would tell us when and where it came from, adding to the value of each treasured item.

My Mom had about 75 sets of salt and pepper shakers. I believe she collected most of them in the 1980s and 1990s whilst they were traveling around the US in their caravan (motor home). But this sweet little pair looks too old for that. Does anyone know when and where they were made?


This one just cracked me up. Maybe it's from Yellowstone where grizzly bears eat salmon?


There were several Christmas themed ones, so we all got some of them.



And these stereotypical ones from Mississippi.




And there were these Thanksgiving themed ones.



I actually remember using these at her house in the summertime.



She had several in the typical blue Delft: these cows, some little Dutch boys and girls and two windmills. These cows say Silver Dollar City on the bottom.


There were a few sets of little buildings: these country ones and some Victorian ones.



But the majority were similar to this: plain shapes with printing of the tourist attraction. I've been to the Alamo so I selected these and a few others of places I've visited.


And then there was this plate. I vividly remember these dishes from my childhood and loved them even then. Maybe this is where my dishaholism started?
All in all we had a lovely day as we unwrapped and sorted through things. My Dad seemed happy to have things cleared out and we were happy he was there to tell us the history of the items. But the best part was spending the day together with my family; working, laughing, talking, eating, kidding and remembering my Mom.

6 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Wonderful memories

Anonymous said...

My grandmother had some similar to your little girl and boy. Her's were marked Japan. I don't know how old they were, but I do know she had them when I was a small child.

Anonymous said...

This post brought back sweet memories of a vast collection my mom had of S/P at one time, too! She later cleared most of them out (except for a turkey set she used at Thanksgiving--I have the lone survivor of the two). I can still recall my sister and I "playing" with them--we weren't supposed to.

What a joy to have the time with you dad and family--lovingly recalling wonderful memories of your mom.

Dana

Donna @ Party Wishes said...

What a wonderful collection and great memories!

Neabear said...

That is a nice way to divy up your mom's things. Family time together and memories shared as you looked through her treasures. So nice!

Pippajo said...

Oh, it sounds like you had a wonderful time! What a great idea.

The Viking's grandmother collected salt and pepper shakers, too. He requested a few when she died and we got the cutest sets that now sit in pride of place on the hutch in the dining room: a pair of doves, a pair of poodles, a pair of penguins, and a basket of strawberries that goes perfectly with the decor in our kitchen and dining room!

So, do you have plans to use yours or will they be just for display?