Sunday, March 8, 2009

New Neighbors

Remember this tree limb that broke off? Well apparently a squirrel family has found the resulting hole to be habitable, so they are moving in. I saw them yesterday scurrying around the tree, selecting dry leaves, and stowing them in the hole. I love squirrels, they are just so cute. I hope they make nice neighbors and don't have wild parties or play loud music. And I hope they have some kids. I like to see kids in the neighborhood.
Click on photos to enlarge.



Here they are selecting and carrying leaves back to the hole.



And here's one of them sitting still because it just heard the hawks!



Yes, the hawks are back too. They sit silent and still in the trees waiting for an unsuspecting bird or squirrel to get too close, then {WHAM!} dinner's ready. I saw that happen recently on my morning walk. It wasn't pretty; efficient, but not pretty. Below is a photo of one of the Red Shouldered Hawks that I took last year. I think they nest in a palm tree near the elementary school, so maybe our squirrels are far enough away to be safe. I hope so.

1 comment:

Nan and =^..^= said...

Loved your post about your squirrel neighbors! I too love squirrels and we have families of red squirrels living in our yard and hopefully not in our attic. I have posted some photos of our squirrel residents over on my blog, Furry and Feathered Friends. I enjoy your blog very much!
Best wishes,
Nan