Monday, July 27, 2009

Chair Project

Some of you may have wondered where I've been. Aside from just being lazy and irresponsible, I've been doing some projects here Amongst The Oaks. Like painting and reupholstering these chairs.


I bought these chairs about 20 years ago and have recovered them many times as you can see. It was like an archeological dig taking the layers of fabric off. Each one was greeted with an exclamation, "Oh, I loved that fabric!"

But I took them ALL off and started from scratch this time. I also...



sanded and sanded on the chairs and repainted them green. I'm putting them in the cottage out back and the theme there is green and cottagey.


So here they are. It is Behr's Boston Fern and it looks very old fashioned to me. I also painted the china cabinet green. I'll show you that later.


For the new fabric I "shopped the house" and found this stuff that I've had even longer than the chairs! It was the upholstery fabric for the settee cushions on a boat we had back in the early 1980s. I'd saved it all these years because I really like it. It may not be "IN" but I like it.


So here are the finished chairs with their new fabric. I rather like the combination and I think it's going to look just right in Acorn Cottage.

6 comments:

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

I love the green! Can't wait to see the china cabinet. V.
P.S> Hope you'll check out my blogging partner "C"'s new post. It's a really good one!

Blondie's Journal said...

Well, I wouldn't call transforming those beautiful chairs being irresponsible!! I am in love with the fabric and I think it looks fabulous with the paint color!!

I can't wait to see the hutch...And Acorn Cottage! What a cool name, considering your trees!

xoxo
Jane

dana said...

I DO love your redo of your chairs!! How great to create such a great new look with a little paint and some long-loved fabric.

Hope your summer is going well.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What an ambitious undertaking. They look wonderful.

Stacey said...

Love the green! The fabric you chose is really sweet too. I just love projects like that.

Neabear said...

Recovering chairs is definitely not being lazy. Those look great. I really like your redo on the chairs!! I have been cross stitching and stretching my legs out. I am finding it uncomfortable to sit at the computer for very long which impacts me getting around to visiting and commenting on others blogs. Slows down my own posting too. I have some of my latest projects on my craft blog. Don't know if you visit that one very often.